10 way Starting a business changed my life
Hi everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read my post today. 5 years ago I was studying Interior Design at the Art Institute of Washington when I came across a portfolio on display made by one of the senior fashion students. She had created her own swimwear line and marketing plan for the line. I always had a passion for swimwear. In fact, my goal was to never wear the same swimsuit more than once (great goals, right). I remember the moment that I called my girl friends and told them about my idea to start a business. I will never forget that night. From there, I did a lot of research and a lot of doubting myself. I didn’t realize that doing something like that was even possible. Fast forward to today, I now have Gorgeous Life Swimwear which I am so proud of and I don’t regret my decision to follow my dream. I hope that you will find this post both useful and motivating. I know that when I was still in the process of starting my business, I could have used a couple of posts like this to give me that extra confidence. Here are 10 ways that starting a business changed my life for the better.
- Working from home. Lets face it. Working from home is a million times better than working at work. Who really wants to get up and go to work every day? NOT me. I was a nanny while I was starting my business so I had a pretty laid back job but it was still a lot of work. And caring for children is a huge responsibility. I had to commute 45 minutes to work every day, which was a job in itself. Traffic jams, bad weather, realizing when I was almost at work that I forgot my lunch…fun times. I would MUCH rather work from home.
- Confidence boost. I’m definitely a confident person no matter what I’m doing. But knowing that I followed my wildest dream and am now the happiest I’ve ever been makes me so much more confident. It also helps me teach my girls that they can do literally anything in the world that they want to do. I used to watch America’s Next Top Model religiously throughout high school. I love everything about the fashion and modeling industry. But never would I ever think that I would work with one of the models one day. Hadassah Richardson whom I consider to be a real life barbie and model on ANTM cycle 22, is now one of our ambassadors. It’s completely a dream come true!
- Awesome Collaborations. Gorgeous Life Swimwear has given me the opportunity to collaborate with some amazing and talented models and photographers all over the world. Things that I never even dreamed of are happening right before my eyes!
- I believe I work better on my own. I really am not the worlds best employee. One time, I quit my retail job by leaving for my lunch break and never returning. I don’t like being told what to do only to get paid so little and not be appreciated. With my own business, I make the rules.
- I make money while I’m SLEEPING. Yes! It is another dream come true. Sometimes I wake up and find out I made a sale or two overnight! Completely asleep and making money. It literally doesn’t get any better than that people!
- Learning new skills. Starting a swimwear line is much more than just designs. There is so much about the business that I have learned, and I learn new things each and every day. Marketing, SEO, Digital design, Web design, and blogging are just a few of the things that I have learned since beginning this endeavor. Remember, this started as a phone call to my friends telling them that I wanted to be a designer. Everything I’ve done, I had to learn myself.
- Meeting awesome people through networking. I never valued small business owners the way I do now. I am constantly looking for people to collaborate with so we can both grow a little. By doing this, I get to meet and form relationships with tons of other business owners. It never gets old!
- Reaching the world. I get excited when I get orders from other countries. I have a huge map in my room that I put a star on every place I ship to. I would love to travel the world one day when my girls are older, but for now I get satisfaction knowing that a little piece of me goes all over the world.
- I enjoy ‘working’. I have always been jealous of people who genuinely love going to work. I mean really, there aren’t many people that can say they are 100% happy with their jobs. Well I’m one of the few people who can say that I am, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Work never feels like work to me and that is just an incredible feeling!
- I have time to be a MOM. This one is most important to me, so I saved the best for last. I now have time to spend each and every day with my girls, homeschooling them, teaching them how to swim, taking them for a hike, shopping with them, reading to them, cooking real meals for them…all of these things were much more difficult to do when I worked full time. I really want to be a huge part of my children’s lives. Life is short and if anything were to happen to me, I want them to always remember that I lived my life for them and did my best to make them the happiest children alive. They help me ship out orders, and they help put the stickers on the map so they learn a lot of things about business too. Even though I love Gorgeous Life Swimwear, my first and most important job is to be a mother, and I am more than confident than ever that I am the best mother that I can be.
Are you an entrepreneur? What do you love about having your own business? Is there anything that I missed? Are you interested in collaborating? Let’s talk! Leave me a comment or send me a message. I would love to hear from you!!!
It’s almost Friday! Hang in there loves! Have a wonderful day